Firefox Maximus D 29
By: Vineet Sharma
Also featured in Issue #24 | Nov 2014
Many hate them but many love them. 29ers are better than any wheel size or not is still a big argument… or not? Let’s ignore that question and continue to check this latest offering by Firefox bikes. Maximus D – which proudly rolls on 29” wheels.
Surprisingly the bike overall build is not too bad. The frame design is sleek with clean lines and the matt paint finish is great. The frame welds are strong and the overall frame design scores 7/10, but there were many occasions where slight flex was felt while using it on brutal terrain which may compromise the frame strength on long term usage.
The alloy hardtail frame of Firefox Maximus D comes in 2 size options: 17.5” (shown here) and 19”. We still wonder why not more frame size options.
Maximus D is available for INR 24,750 which is not bad for an entry level mountain bike that can be a decent investment for beginners who want to experiment with a bigger wheel size instead of the traditional and trusted 26”. The bike can also be upgraded with many aftermarket components if you plan to use it more seriously. The only closet rival we see for this bike in the Indian mountain bike market is the B’twin Rockrider 5.3 Big which is priced at INR 38,000 which comes with better brakes and drivetrain if compared with the Maximux 29. Overall, Firefox Maximus D can be a good investment for someone looking for a 29er which is not heavy on the pockets.
The bike is available in 2 colors. Dark grey and White.
Here are more specs of the Firefox Maximus 29:
- Size : 17.5″,19″
- Frame : Alloy Hardtail MTB
- Fork : SR Suntour XCT hydraulic lockout 100mm
- Shifters : SHIMANO EF51 , 8 speed
- Front Derailleur : SHIMANO TX50
- Rear Derailleur : SHIMANO M360 Acera
- Crankset : PROWHEEL 24/34/42,170mm
- BB Set : VP-BC73 Sealed Cartridge
- Cassette : SHIMANO CS-HG31 11-32T , 8 speed
- Pedals : WELLGO PP
- Rims : Alloy 32H Double Wall Rims
- Tires : KENDA 29 X 2.1″
- Seat Post : ZOOM Alloy 30.4 X 300mm
- Handlebar : ZOOM Alloy 660mm , 31.8mm 20mm rise
- Stem : ZOOM Alloy , 28.6mm
- Headset : FP 1-1/8″ threadless , semi integrated
- Brakes : Tektro , mechanical disc w/Shimano levers