IXS Cleaver Knee/Shin Armour
By: Vinay Menon
Also featured in Issue #21 | May 2014
Safety is primary when you consider playing with gravity on two wheels. In the occasion of a bash down, a good knee/shin armour is your health insurance. The difference between a week off the bike or coming out of the mud battle laughing is something the leg armour would play a key role in.
IXS has made a mark with their innovative lightweight protective gear for the downhill/freeride warriors. Earlier in the year we got into their ‘Cleaver’ Knee/Shin armour and spent a few weeks on our local descents.
The hardshell ‘Cleaver’ has some new features in a light weight package. Bigger vents on the shell help keep the temperatures low inside. The straps to fasten the armour are soft with a well merged Velcro patch. The Cleaver includes some new features like the tough flexible rubber padding between the knee and shin shell. The sides of your knee are also well protected through smaller foam patches held snuggly with a mesh sleeve. Another highlight is the silicon lining around the knee zone which keeps the armour from slipping down while pedalling, something that otherwise happens once things get sweaty and grimy.
The smaller details that have gone into making the ‘Cleaver’ make it a good buy. Though not cheap at 99Euros (Rs.8400/- approx), this top of the line IXS Leg armour is a feature rich protective gear to have in your race kit. The IXS ‘Cleaver’ is available in 3 colour options – Black, White (tested) or a Green shell. In size: S through XL, M (tested)
- 360° all around breathable “AeroMesh TM”, moisture wicking, anti bacterial.
- “SqueezeBox TM” – specific developed and patented joint system for optimised fit and move ability between knee and shin
- “ArmadilloDuo TM” – high quality double injected protection shells made of shock absorbent polypropylene
- Skid Protection – tear resistant Nylon layers prevent protection zones from cracking
- “NockOut TM” – shock absorbent padding along the leg, upper leg and knee sides as well as in all vital zones
- “SideTap TM” – integrated side padding
- “LoopLock TM” – fasteners. maximum security and adjustability, decompression
- Silicone – non slip, no creep
- +/- 550g (pair)