Words: Cephas Joseph \\ Photo: Vinay Menon
A full face helmet is the best safety gear you can invest in. With the trails getting gnarlier and speeds only gaining, it’s wise to tighten them chin straps well.
Having used the helmet for a couple of months now and with a few nasty crashes, I can confidently say that the build quality is really good. The helmet feels pretty close to their higher end model, the Aircraft. Though the Status has lesser padding compared to the Aircraft, don’t be deceived! This helmet is capable of safely walking you out of any unforeseen situations.
The Status isn’t the lightest of the helmets out there. But 100% did an excellent job of pulling down the grams to around a kilo. Though not as light as the carbon Aircraft, the Status still feels light on the head and doesn’t strain your neck with excess weight.
Even with multiple walks up the trail with the big bike, the heat radar wasn’t beeping. The vents being placed well, the temperatures inside the Status are bearable.
I’ve had a few nasty crashes over the past months with the Status on, the only structural damage to the helmet is a broken Visor and a few paint chips. Apart from that, the helmet is still good and can handle a lot more. The Status also fits well with a neck brace, in case you decide to run one.
- Ultra-light design featuring fiberglass shell.
- Active cooling system increases airflow offering maximum ventilation while riding and also while rider is stationary.
- Washable comfort liner, cheek pads and chin strap covers.
- Engineered with 2 shell sizes and 2 EPS sizes to achieve the perfect fit.
- Compatible with inflatable emergency helmet release systems.
- Padded PU chin bar interior for enhanced impact protection.
- Adjustable visor with light-weight screws.
- Weight approx.: 1025 g (± 50 g)
The Status Downhill/BMX helmet redefines the standards for what a mid-level full face helmet should be. This budget-friendly version of the Aircraft convinces with an equal high performance and outstanding design. The plushy and comfortable liner and cheek pads in different sizes provide a perfect and secure fit and feel soft against the skin. Thanks to its active cooling system with numerous vents at chin, sides, back and top it takes ventilation and airflow to a new level keeping the head cool while standing. The design shows an overall richness of detail including screws and liner and turns the Status into a piece of art.